Thursday, October 1, 2009

St. Vincent Editorial

For an upcoming project, I'm doing an Illustration of the lovely Annie Clark of St. Vincent. Death & Taxes Magazine recently did a feature article with the sub-headline "Annie Clark Takes Center Stage," which focused primarily on Annie Clark's history as a supplementary musician in other bands before finally having the opportunity to step out into her own. Therefore, I depicted her pulling duct tape off her mouth. Yes.

Now, I rendered the originals in 2 parts on Arches paper, something like 24x36", so it took a composite scan of 3 parts to actually get a full, completed image. I used graphite for the line-work and decided to color the illustration digitally after a horrid attempt to "paint" traditionally on a form of Mylar. Anyways, here's what I've got so far, there will likely be minor changes to come, and I still have to incorporate text and place the Illustration in context, within the 2-page spread.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love seeing the process... It's great to see this (and your sketchbook), how you still stick to the traditional media. Something so much more direct than digital, and yet I have to admit I pretty much do everything on my wacom now. Sometimes I really miss having black fingertips. Great work!

mchen
http://www.mchenwears.com/blog

Jim! said...

i'm constantly in that struggle between doing things by hand and doing them digitally. the sketchbooks aren't for show really, so i'm more confident in being messy and exploratory, the finished pieces typically are more thought out and clean...which i actually dislike. i like the raw spontaneity of the sketches as opposed to things that are really fleshed out sometimes. it's a constant struggle.