Monday, June 22, 2009

CMA's East Wing

The Cleveland Museum of Art opened its new East Wing, and let me just say what's already been said: HOLY S**T. I honestly did not know the Museum even had any Contemporary Art, where have they been hiding it? I only visited once in 2004 before the renovations, but now that it's open again, they're rocking some Sol Lewitt, Gerhard Richter, Mark Rothko, Cai Guo-Qiang, and so on. Honestly, I had a smile on my face the entire time. I've probably seen the same Picasso paintings 15 times over the year, so this was a pleasant and VERY welcomed surprise.

And, as I was looking at Claude Monet's "Water Lillies," James Franco and his tour-guide (and friend) walked up next to me to admire it. I obviously pretended not to notice his presence (he wasn't the only good actor in that gallery) and noticed everyone else staring at the nearby Degas and Cubist paintings much longer than usual. He spent maybe 5 minutes in the gallery and went back to do his Q&A for his art-house film showing.

Anyways, the museum opens again to the public next week and I suggest we all go, A LOT. We are very privileged to even have such a museum in Cleveland, and we should not take this for granted.

Oh, and also, Dan Deacon Friday night = WOW. For such an obscure venue and mixed crowd (40% of the concert goers payed over $100 to get in, the rest of us a mere $15), including: talking to the God of thunder not to rain on us (it was outside) because "we are not afraid of you!, spit on us" and a countdown to the first song which also happened to synch to fireworks. It drizzled and we got a tarp to hold over his table and it was so much fun, I managed to stay dry but yes, that show will go down as one of my most memorable ever.

These images can be found at another blog...http://jimjanek.blogspot.com/

My head is in the second picture with the fireworks!

More AMAZING pictures from the galleries and Summer Solstice Party can be found at...http://www.flickr.com/photos/clevelandart/sets/72157620257799382/show/


No comments: